<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, July 13, 2003

Adaptation 

I was supposed to watch "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" on Saturday night, but all the reviews I had been reading seemed to indicate the movie was somewhere between bad and extraordinarily bad. I figured I'd keep away from LXG until any one of my friends, who is also a fan of the comic strip, sees the movie and lets me know what it's like. So, I picked up the DVD of "Adaptation", the recent Spike Jonze movie. And a very good idea it was. Excellent movie, well and truly deserving of all the good press. I thought the screenplay for "Being John Malkovich" would be pretty hard to beat, but Charlie Kaufman comes pretty darn close with this movie. I can't remember whether it won any Oscars, but I do remember that Charlie AND Donald Kaufman were nominated for adapted screenplay. All that remains to be settled now is whether Donald Kaufman or Roderick Jaynes was/were the first fictional character/s to be nominated for an academy award.

Watch out for cameos by Spike Jonze, John Malkovich, Susan Orlean, John Cusack and Curtis Hanson. All in all, a must-see movie.