<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, September 06, 2003

Back from Mexico 

Much against my wishes, I had to give up my sun bed, the beautiful beaches and return to New York. I have decided that I need a beach holiday at least twice a year. As I had mentioned in my previous post, Sayulita is definitely a place I would recommend to anyone wanting a non-Cancun vacation in Mexico.

A couple of observations about rural Mexico -- 1) Eerie similarity to some parts of rural India, except they have better automobiles, thanks to the proximity of the United States and less duty on imports, I guess 2) A hell of a lot of very endearing stray dogs that completely redefine the idea of strays. The stray dogs in Sayulita included Golden Retrievers, Boxers, Labradors, Dalmatians, Chihuahuas and funnily enough Dobermans (which were FEROCIOUSLY looking for shade on the beach to sleep under). I wonder if there are tourists who simply leave their pets behind or some such. I cannot think of any other explanation for the various breeds of strays I found. 3) A perfunctory look at the inventory management in the stores indicated that a concept like RISC would probably work in rural Mexico as well.