<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, March 22, 2004

On the killing of Sheikh Yassin 

I was shocked this morning when I heard the news of Israel assasinating Sheikh Yassin. I really have to wonder what gains Sharon expected to make from killing the Sheikh besides unleashing an incredible wave of violence, which I am certain will follow given what I've read coming from Hamas, Al-Aqsa etc. The Sharon government seems to have a knack of doing things that instantly backfire, be it the wall, the resumption of assasinations etc. What's worse, in this case, they've given Sheikh Yassin exactly what he wanted -- to become a martyr.

I could go on and on about the stupidity of this assasination, but the Polish Foreign Minister Wlodzimierz Cimoszewicz does a good job of articulating all of my thoughts in one sentence -- I understand that Israel defends its own country. However the picture of a wheelchair-bound person who was killed with a rocket is probably not the best way of promoting Israeli security.