<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

The Worst Song of all Time? 

The BBC is reporting that a Mars survey to find a popular choice for the worst song of all time has thrown up an unlikeley claimant for the No:1 spot -- the Beatles' "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da", from the the fantastic White Album. Not that I am a big fan of Ob-La-Di, but is it really that bad? Did it make it to the spot thanks to Beatles/John Lennon fans who wanted to spite Paul McCartney?

The second spot went to Paul Gascoigne's singing "Fog On The Tyne". I havent heard the song, but the mere thought of Gascoigne singing gives me the shivers. The No:3 spot went, deservedly, to Meat Loaf's "I'll Do Anything For Love". Other worthies who made it to the top 10 include Vanilla Ice and Cliff Richard. I am not sure I can come up with any one song that is the worst of all, given that there are so many offenders. How about Bryan Adams' "Everything I do" or Phil Collins' "Another Day in Paradise" or Michael Bolton's "Can I touch you there" for example?

This is truly a tough category to choose from. If you have any visceral hatred you'd like to air, feel free to do so in the comments section.