<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

An Appeal 

Folks, I have been thinking about how we can constructively help with the relief efforts in the Tsunami-stricken parts of South and South East Asia. Some of us can volunteer on the ground, though I urge you to check with authorities and charities to make sure you are being helpful and not being a hindrance. For the most part though, I think we can contribute financially to help fund the relief effort. So, I am going to compile a list of sites/people/agencies looking for contributions to help with relief. I will also try and compile as comprehensive a list as possible for volunteer opportunities, news roundups and so on.

I have already collected a bunch of links, but I need a lot more. So, this post is an appeal to request those of you who have ideas, links etc to please send them to me as soon as possible. I hope to make a comprehensive post sometime tomorrow (29th) evening or 30th morning, Eastern Standard. Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: I have been asked by more than one person whether it might be worthwhile for ZS to collect money (via paypal) and then distribute it to a particular agency. My initial reaction would be skeptical since it will involve being responsible for someone else's money and I think relief agencies are logistically better equipped to handle something like this than any of us. On the other hand, we might be able to get it to the ground easier. My personal preference remains to direct people to sources they feel comfortable donating to, but if you feel strongly either way please let me know either via e-mail or via the comments section on here.

UPDATE: Folks, I am absolutely knackered by jetlag, so I will post the links tomorrow first thing in the am rather than do something incoherent tonight. Apologies for the delay.