<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, December 26, 2004

The Freak Tsunami 

I never thought I would live to see the day a tsunami hit the coast of India. What an absolute freak of nature!! And even more so when you realise it happened exactly one year to the day after the quake in Bam, Iran. The current death toll seems to suggest 1000 dead in southern India, 1500 dead in Sri Lanka, 250 dead in Indonesia, about a 100 dead in Thailand and so on. The tidal wave even hit parts of Kerala somehow and 2/3rds of the Maldives are under water. I fully expect the toll to go up much more as the govts begin to account for missing people.

From everything I've heard, Madras was very badly hit and both Marina beach and Elliott's beach dissapeared for a while as water crashed in almost a kilometer inland. I hope all ZS readers based in Madras (and there are several) are all safe as are your friends and family. Not sure there's much else I can say at this point.