<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, October 30, 2006

A Shanghai Tip 

Every time I visit a city, I wonder what the most spectacular place to have a drink might be. In Shanghai, the best place to have a drink has to be "Cloud 9", the bar on the 87th floor of the Jin Mao tower, the third tallest building in the world and the tallest in the PRC. I suppose you could also add that the Grand Hyatt which owns the bar is also the tallest hotel in the world. Depending on which side of the bar you're sitting on, you get spectacular views of the river and the bladerunner-ish skyline of Shanghai and Pudong (more on that later). The last time I saw views like this from a bar was when I used to frequent "Windows on the World" on the top floor of the World Trade Center in NYC.

BTW, don't let the Grand Hyatt brand name throw you off. This is a very affordable bar, especially when compared to similar spots around the world. Four cocktails cost about $46 all inclusive, which is really not bad at all given the location and the five-star hotel ambience. I will certainly recommend at least one night at this bar to anyone who is planning a visit to Shanghai. You will not regret it.

I was planning to write a longer series of posts, but the blue curacao, vermouth and vodka combination is beginning to work its wonders in my head, so adieu for now and xiexie for listening.