<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, October 21, 2006

The Week to Remember for Columbia 

As always, I was wrong about my prediction about the Economics Nobel, but I was mighty pleased that it was won by yet another Columbia Univ economist, Edmund Phelps. Phelps is a damn good professor and someone whose lectures I have enjoyed attending in the past. Then came news that the Literature Nobel was won by yet another Columbia prof, Orhan Pamuk, whose work I am not really familiar with. In between these awards came Kiran Desai's win of the Booker Prize, and needless to say, Kiran is a Columbia alum as well. 2 Nobels and 1 Booker in the space of one week is a tremendous run and quite possibly one of the best weeks Columbia has had in recent times. Though I have moved on from Columbia, I remain extremely fond of the university and the wonderful 6 years I spent there, so this is special. In addition, I have met Kiran and I have to say the Booker could not have gone to a nicer person, or a better book, for that matter.