<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

The Big Chill: The Mother of All Parties 


I have been meaning to post about the Big Chill Goa for quite some time, but was waiting for the website to update with some nice pictures. I have heard about the Big Chill music festival for quite some time now, so the minute I heard about the Goa edition, I bought tickets and made plans to go. Regular readers of this blog I am a big fan of electronic music, house music and just generally progressive music. In my opinion, electronica is the one genre of music today which is truly global in every sense, and which actually pushes the boundaries of music. And there is no better to check out the best electro sounds than the Big Chill.

Though I was a bit skeptical at first, the Big Chill turned out not only to far exceed my expectations, but quite frankly was the best party I've been to in India. The crowd was outstanding (it helps that i've never seen that many pretty girls in one place in India before), the atmosphere was unbelievably chill and intimate, the booze fantastic and best of all, the music was really very, very good. A bunch of the artists, I knew very well like Shri or Jalebee Cartel, but the great new introductions were The Bays (amazing website) and Norman Jay (pic below).



No DJ I've seen knows how to get a party going like Norman Jay with the tempo picking up just after sunset. I think The Bays are pretty much at the cutting edge of jam music, and probably indicative of the direction jam bands will take in the years to come. Jalebee Cartel is easily the best electro band I've heard in India and every time I hear them, they seem to get edgier. You can check out samples of all of their music on the linked websites.



As I understand it, the Goa edition was so successful that the organizers are planning to make it an annual event, so all of you resident in India are warned. For the Indian electronica fans among you, here's a heads-up: Paul Oakenfold is spinning in India on Friday and Saturday. Oakey is spinning at Elevate in Delhi on Friday, the 11th and at City Studio in Bombay on the 12th. I will be at City Studio on the 12th night.