<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Magical TED Moment 

One of the best things about the way Emeka produced TED was the variety among the sessions, even though there was an underlying theme, namely turning a new chapter for Africa. One of my favourite sessions was the campfire, to celebrate the continent's glorious story-telling tradition. My favourite speaker at the session was Chris Abani who is a raconteur par excellence. He ended his beautiful, self-deprecatory talk, which covered everything from being in Nigerian prisons to tribal tensions, with this amazing poem by Yusef Komunyakaa called Ode to a Drum, and I reproduce it here in full.
Gazelle, I killed you
for your skin's exquisite
touch, for how easy it is
to be nailed to a board
weathered raw as white
butcher paper. Last night
I heard my daughter praying
for the meat here at my feet.
You know it wasn't anger
that made me stop my heart
till the hammer fell. Weeks
ago, I broke you as a woman
once shattered me into a song
beneath her weight, before
you slouched into that
grassy hush. But now
I'm tightening lashes,
shaping hide as if around
a ribcage, stretched
like five bowstrings.
Ghosts cannot slip back
inside the body's drum.
You've been seasoned
by wind, dusk & sunlight.
Pressure can make everything
whole again, brass nails
tacked into the ebony wood
your face has been carved
five times. I have to drive
trouble from the valley.
Trouble in the hills.
Trouble on the river
too. There's no kola nut,
palm wine, fish, salt,
or calabash. Kadoom.
Kadoom. Kadoom. Ka-
doooom. Kadoom. Now
I have beaten a song back into you,
rise & walk away like a panther.
This poem really needs to be heard, not read, so try and give it a listen.

As Chris Anderson later said, this was a TED moment.